Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Driving Green Begets False Moral Imperatives

Following my recent banishment from www.traineo.com (see link for poorly channeled John Galt speech : Throw off the shackle ) I have found my outlet for attempting to spread common fitness sense to the masses has been decidedly cut off. Not that you can't continue preaching to those deaf to your ravings, but it lost some of its mystique when every response was met with meager excuses citing genetics, lack of time, strenuous jobs, and terrorists.

I was sitting in my car at a red light the other day, and as I sat in silence (car is turd-shaped hybrid from 03) I noticed that the LCD readout currently read an accurate measurement of zero miles to the gallon. This is wholly correct, since I wasn't moving and the gas-motor was off the fact that I wasn't wasting precious bits of dead dinosaur didn't matter. However, the instant I started moving under electric power I would achieve an infinite fuel economy. In fact, the instant I started moving at any speed I would get an infinite MPG on the simple fact that I would consume no gas. It temporarily amazed me that the connection between zero and the infinite was related by such a small quantity, in this case any speed whatsoever.

This long-winded metaphor is exactly how I would classify an overwhelming majorities pursuit of exercise. People believe that the connection between the zero (never exercising, overweight, etc.) and the infinite (Arnold) can be interrelated with the application of any small quantity. Unfortunately for you, but fortunate for the makers of ellipticals, recumbent bikes, and other useless pieces of equipment...this is not the case.

I made a comment in the traineo diatribe that the biggest reason so many Americans are unable to achieve their fitness goals is their own mental inertia. Their own mental turpitude hinders them so that they try and place accountability in the hands of trainers, gyms, equipment, and fad regimens rather than their own mind. It is easy at first to seek the comfort of placing all responsibility, obligation, and duty in the hands of someone else. It means you gain all the glory if you miraculously achieve, and you losing nothing if you do not succeed.

It is therefore a moral imperative, before your hand touches the erg for the first time or you grasp the olympic bar before learning to squat, that you realize that the source of all your achievement and failure derives from the impetus provided by your own mind. No one else.

Now, so that you don't get too bored, here is a video of a 56 year old woman squatting 540 lbs.



No comments: